Is It Good to Have a Joint Account With Your spouse?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Mawuli, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Mawuli

Mawuli TheGuide Staff Member

Most people, advice against having a joint account in a marriage. Many say it's risky and can put undue strains on the relationship.

What say you?
  2. Ezyah

Ezyah New Member

My wife and I have a joint account for bill paying and major savings. Then I have a spending account for buying certain things for me, my wife has no part of that. She has her own account also.
    Ariel likes this.
  3. Hator

Hator Active Member

I take it you are the main bread winner, right? Say your wife earned more than you did, what would happen then? Would it still work for you? The cases I know where the joint account leads to friction is when the woman is the chief income earner.
  4. Ezyah

Ezyah New Member

Maybe so I am the only one working, she takes a allowance out, I have an allotment she does not know about. My wife is very good at paying bills and we have no CC debt and just a mortgage and one car payment. We communicate on what our desire are and what goals we desire to reach. Don't always agree, sometimes it just takes sacrifice. I would be glad if my wife made more than I did, I have a skill set in the IT field and a lot of experience and take test for new certifications continously. So I will pretty much always make decent money. We have had some disagreements with money in the past. I am blessed enough to make a good salary, was not always like that!
  5. Alice Jones

Alice Jones New Member

I don't agree with this. There should not be joint account
  6. Mawuli

Mawuli TheGuide Staff Member

Why not? Please explain.
  7. Ariel

Ariel New Member

This is exactly how we've been doing thing, my husband and I, for the past 10 years. It's ideal as a partnership and keeps us focused on the fact that any issue, big or small, is to be dealt with together.

When I see couples doing differently, I can't help but wonder what helps them feel as an item and how does "better or worst" comes into the equation if they cannot make this basic sacrifice....