Some of the ways on how Haitian people can prove their ancestry

Discussion in 'Black History Main Forum' started by ilevi, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ilevi

ilevi Active Member

Part 1: Origin of Soukri and its descendants
    Part 2: Speaks on a popular tradition called "Kanzo" (where virtually anyone can become a "priest"). The priestess follows "Dahomean" form of tradition

Haiti is divided into different regions, and while some maintained old specific names, the majority was subjected to generic ones like "South-east" or "Center." The one prominent region that has kept to the oldest Erhverh customs/traditions of dahomey, and that was one of the main disembarkment of the people termed "Dahomian", was and still called today ARTIBONITE (L'Atibonite). When one reads the word, an Erhverh will instantly notice that the root word ATI means TREE. it has also been related to ATIGBON LEGBA as it was where the trees contained "bags" tied to them by the priests who worked with the idol or spirit terming it "Gatekeeper Legba", or so the story says. The region was known for its trees, that was considered to carry a spiritual element or significance to it.

My Parents were born in Gonaives of L'Atibonite region (of Ayiti/Haiti). My fathers family was situated in or near a village called MAPOU; Dedicated to a place called GRAN or GWO (big) MAPOU of "LAKOU SOUVENANCE"(home of the people that maintain dahomean tradition). My mothers family are said to have come from SOUVENANCE on her fathers side, and a place further south called Bellange of the same region. Going into their origins won't be necessary. In addition to Lakou Souvenance, we also have Badjo Nago (people of the Yoruba family) found within the same house, and also Soukri Danache that houses the Kongo traditions of the descendants of those particular people. What is interesting about Soukri is that they borrowed the traditional system and language of the Dahomean people, to preserve their pantheons. Although, they are mainly isolated from the other houses and are a good distance away from the former. Anyway, these systems are used to maintain ancestral traditions, and it is said that everyone has a root throughout the island. Kongo people though are indeed Erhverh too.